Manager, General Accounting
Company: Cobb EMC
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Cobb EMC is currently recruiting for Manager, General Accounting
to provide complete and accurate accounting records, to prepare
financial statements, accounting and tax reports, and to maintain
custodianship of accounting records for the Corporation.Cobb
Electric Membership Corporation (Cobb EMC) is a not-for-profit,
member-owned electric cooperative, which ranked third in the nation
for reliable electricity and consistently delivers electricity at
record-low rates to nearly 200,000 residential and commercial
customers in five counties just north of Atlanta, GA: Cobb, Bartow,
Cherokee, Fulton and Paulding counties. Cobb EMC's distribution
system consists of 9,000 miles of line over 432 square miles. With
over 200,000 meters served, Cobb EMC is one of the largest of
Georgia's EMCs and among the largest EMCs in the nation. Cobb EMC
is recognized for consistently low rates and a commitment to giving
back to the communities we serve. We are proud to be nationally
recognized for dynamic and innovative programs regarding Electric
Vehicles (EVs), Solar Power and Distributed Energy Technology. In
addition to Cobb EMC being among the largest in the nation, our
wholly-owned subsidiary Gas South is a leading provider of natural
gas in the Southeast. We offer great benefits effective day one of
employment and an outstanding 401K match with additional company
contribution. Visit the Benefits section on the Careers page for
complete details! - - -Major Areas of Responsibility - -The items
listed are major responsibilities of this position. They are not
intended to cover each aspect of the position as the scope and
duties may change or be temporarily altered based on the current
business needs of the Company. The basic requirement of every
position is to perform all tasks as assigned by the reporting
authority.Safety & Corporate Standards:
- Perform all work in a safe manner, encouraging others to do the
same, and reporting unsafe situations,environments, and work
- Abide by all corporate standards, policies, by-laws, rules, and
- Complete all assigned work in an accurate, timely, and
- Maintain a neat and orderly work area.Accounting
- Ensure that accounting functions adhere to generally accepted
accounting principles and practices, consistent with industry and
- Review and approve work of subordinates, including schedules,
journal entries, reports, reconciliations and tax or other
- -Coordinate Accounting projects and initiatives with other
members of the accounting team or with other departments.
- Analyze complex accounting data and reports and communicate
results to management.
- Ensure the accurate preparation of general ledger journal
entries, overhead spreads, and month-end activities.
- Process, maintain, and reconcile employee and dependent tuition
assistance activity and cumulative balances per employee.
- Review books of original entry and general ledger for
completeness; examine trial balance for irregularities prior to
preparation of monthly financial reports.
- Prepare and/or review monthly account reconciliations as
- Make recommendations that improve business efficiency around
processes andAccounting Reports and Forms:
- Prepare and/or review the monthly and annual Form 7 and
Financial & Statistical Report, and other reports, as
- Prepare and/or review monthly variance analyses for revenues
- Prepare and submit monthly Georgia Sales and Use tax return,
process payments and record journals, as required.
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly, and annual franchise
returns and process payments, as required.
- Coordinate the month-end and year-end close processes for
accounting/finance in Lawson and open new period
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial reports, banking and
- Prepare year-end financial statements and extended
- Review budget and/or forecast submissions and allocations,
perform analyses, request additional information asneededTax &
- Ensure that annual Unclaimed Property forms are filed and paid
- Review Director 1099 information, respond to inquiries
- Provide information for the preparation of annual IRS Form 990
or 1120 and review before filing
- Provide information for the preparation of the annual audited
financial statements, respond to auditor inquiries, review draft
financial statement workpapers and reportsSupervision:
- Handle all aspects of employment for subordinate staff,
including hiring, promotion, training, and termination
- Appropriately document actions on employment issues
- Coach and direct learning through direct involvement and
- Analyze and manage daily workload and schedules
- Monitor performance and conduct performance planning and review
- Ensure fair and consistent treatment of departmental
- Actively support the efforts and intent of Equal Employment
OpportunityNOTE: - The following are major responsibilities of this
position. - They are not intended to cover each aspect of the
position as the scope and duties may change or be temporarily
altered based on the current business needs of the Corporation. -
The basic requirement of every position is to perform all tasks as
assigned by the reporting authority.Minimum Qualifications - -
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting.
- Minimum eight years of experience in general and/or utility
accounting, or four years of public accounting experience
- Minimum two years of accounting managerial experience
- Demonstrated expertise of Financial Reporting, GAAP, month and
year-end closingSkills: - -
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Excellent computation and mathematical skills.
- Excellent reconciliation and analytical skills.
- Effective research and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate high degree of accuracy in all work.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively work in a fast paced,
high-pressure work atmosphere
- Ability to work wtih minimal supervision
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially Excel
and PowerPoint.Preferred Qualifications: - -
- Previous utility industry experience in accounting.
- Previous knowledge of IRS tax form 990 and 1120
- Previous experience with Lawson Smart Office
- Previous experience with Power BI
- Certified Public AccountantPhysical Demands: - -Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. - - -
- Pass company-required physical exam. -Sedentary work.Examples:
- Work performed involves primarily sitting at workstation and
frequently operating a personal computer and other office
equipment.Working Conditions: - -
- Work in general office environmentWorking Relationships: -
- Receive direction and instruction from immediate supervisor. -
- Work with upper management to provide reports and other
- Provide direction, instruction, development and leadership to
- Communicate with other departments to facilitate completion of
- Effectively serve all customers to achieve increased customer
and public support of the Corporation - - -
- Provide assistance, advisement, and accounting information to
external auditors, as required - -All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national
origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy,
genetic information, or other legally protected status. Drug-free
Workplace. - - -
Keywords: Cobb EMC, Marietta , Manager, General Accounting, Executive , Marietta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!