Assistant Vice President Revenue Cycle
Company: WellStar Health System
Posted on: September 16, 2020
OverviewAt WellStar, we all share common goals. That's what
makes us so successful - and such an integral part of our
communities. We want the same things, for our organization, for our
patients, and for our colleagues. As the most integrated
health-care provider in Georgia, this means we pride ourselves on
investing in the communities that we serve. We continue to provide
innovative care models, focused on improving quality and access to
- The Assistant Vice President of Revenue Cycle Operations is
responsible for overseeing the DRCOs and manager responsible for
accounts receivable and revenue cycle operations at all the
hospitals within the WellStar Health System. The AVP of Revenue
cycle operations has the responsibility of leading and providing
direction to the Manager and DRCOs over seven main areas
responsibilities: team leadership, revenue cycle operation duties
as assigned, financial, reimbursement, denials & adjustments,
resource for hospital leadership where necessary and operational
and reporting responsibilities when assigned. The following is a
comprehensive but not exhaustive list of responsibilities. Along
with the each of these responsibilities is outlined below, other
duties may be assigned as needed based on operational and business
Work with DRCO and/or Manager at each of the facility to complete
the month-end close process including, but not limited, to the
- Assist in the preparation and facilitation of reserves for
accurate statement of monthly net revenue.
- Ensure proper account adjudication in preparation for month end
- Collaborates with the Controller to explain net revenue
variances for the month end.
- Prepare list of accounts for Working DRGs needed for month end
and forward to HIM coding.
Team Leadership duties:
- Completes annual performance reviews for direct report
- Monitors and adjusts employee time in Kronos when
- Conduct revenue cycle meetings as needed and follow up with
other Revenue cycle leadership regarding deliverables.
- Provides for management, development, and recruitment of
personnel for Revenue Cycle Services.
- Holds monthly staff meetings.
- Completes annual performance evaluations for employees
- Demonstrate effective departmental leadership and provide
appropriate direction to the staff
- Apply appropriate supervisory, management and leadership
techniques in an operational setting
Regular Operational and Reporting Duties:
- Works with staff to asses, review and approve daily
work-queues, which include the following: Revenue reclass, Charity
approval, Adjustments approvals, Refund approvals, Denial
adjustments, Escalate adjustments, charity requests, and
- Provide oversight and direction of the daily report requests.
Reports are as follows: CFB, Denials, ATB, and other reports as
- System revenue cycle contact for Case Management.
- Assist in facilitation of Patient Access requests as it relates
to revenue cycle.
- Liaison and point of escalation for revenue cycle customer
service requests and issues.
- Interface with other Revenue Cycle areas as needed regarding
the following key metrics:
- Total cash collections
- POS cash
- Denial write offs
- Medicaid outliers
- Payor trends
- Specific accounts reviews
- Special account handling that may be needed.
- Assists various business units within Revenue cycle with
general facility-based inquiries thus improving claims quality and
overall cash performance.
- Works leadership team in conjunction with other facility
departments to resolve various revenue cycle issues, (order
clarification, patient status changes, etc.).
- Consistently communicate with vendors and their staffs to
ensure ongoing issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Financial responsibilities
- Monitors pass thru invoice retrieval for account
- Collaborates leadership and Controller to prepare monthly
Regency LTCH invoice at specific facilities. Monitors accounts to
ensure payments/adjustments are posted (Vendors billing/follow
- Review, code, and approve applicable department expense
- Facilitates and approves departmental supply order.
- Leads team in monitoring managed care contracts relating to
expected reimbursement versus actual reimbursement as needed.
- Provides reimbursement and FMV analyses as requested.
Denials & Adjustments
- Analyze, report, and facilitate monthly meetings related to
payor denial trends including the following:
- Monthly trends
- Focus (facility) denial review and process improvement
- Fatal Denial write off analysis
Hospital Leadership Activities:
- Participant in the following facility meetings:
- Revenue Cycle Operations
- Utilization Management (present denials and disputes)
- Promotes and contributes positively to interdepartmental
- Provide positive leadership for the department that promotes an
environment of cooperation and learning.
- Maintain effective communication with other Patient Financial
Services and Revenue Cycle departments
- Evaluate best practices suggestions for possible implementation
into the revenue cycle processes.
The AVP of Revenue Cycle operations may perform complex data
analysis and make independent decisions within the scope of
responsibility through a shared vision driven by the Vice President
of Revenue Cycle and other senior leadership. The AVP interacts
with executives, directors, and all members of the Revenue Cycle
within WellStar Health System, including leaders of health
information management, corporate compliance, accounting and
medical group revenue cycle. External contacts may consist of
patients and their families, insurance companies, , state and
federal agencies, auditors, and vendors. This position reports to
the Vice President of the Revenue Cycle.
QualificationsRequired Minimum Education:
- Bachelors degree required. BA in Business, Accounting, Finance
or related field or/equivalent broad proven practical experience in
- Masters Degree in Health Care Administration, Nursing, or
Business Administration or equivalent required.
Required Minimum Experience:
- Ten (10) years hospital and physician accounts receivables
- Minimum 7 years of progressive leadership including director
level responsibility in a complex health-care
- Exceptional business acumen including experience in contracting
or group purchasing required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for written, verbal,
presentation, and computer communication required.
- Experience with leading integration or other large
transformation projects is preferred.
Required Minimum Skills:
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations as they pertain to
billing processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of insurance claim processing and third party
- Knowledge and detailed understanding of all negotiated
- Knowledge of the principles of Information Systems in order to
effectively analyze and make decisions.
- Skill in good oral, written, and interpersonal
- Skill in problem solving in a variety of settings.
- Skill in technical or professional accounting.
- Skill in time management and project management.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to operate a computer and related applications.
Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
Keywords: WellStar Health System, Marietta , Assistant Vice President Revenue Cycle, Executive , Marietta, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!